A bad connection can cause awful problems when it comes to the smooth functioning of a network. When the wires that connect important PC devices such as computers and workstations are poorly connected, it can create havoc among users who need to access the network for their day-to-day activities.
So, if you’re someone who has just been assigned the task of setting up a network, you will have to ensure you have all basic equipment readily available – especially the Network Tester. As mentioned above, there are several uses for this product and so any person in charge of handling a network must have one at hand.
List of 10 Best Network Cable Testers: Tested by Experts
1. iMBAPrice – RJ45 Network Cable Tester for Lan Phone RJ45/RJ11/RJ12/CAT5/CAT6/CAT7 UTP Wire Test Tool
- Automatically runs all tests and checks for continuity, open, shorted, and crossed wire pairs. Visible LED status display.
- Cable state testing (2-wire): Line DC detecting, anode, and cathode determination Ringing signal detecting open, short and cross circuit testing
- Cable Type: RJ11 Telephone cable and RJ45 LAN cable
- Connectors: Ethernet Cat 5, Ethernet Cat 5e, Ethernet Cat 6, Ethernet Cat 7, RJ11 6P and RJ45 8P
- Power Source: DC9V Battery Required (not included)
Additional Info :
|Color||Yellow and Black|
2. Klein Tools VDV526-100 Network LAN Cable Tester, VDV Tester, LAN Explorer with Remote
- Cable tester with single button testing of RJ11, RJ12 and RJ45 terminated voice and data cables
- Tests CAT3, CAT5e and CAT6/6A cables
- Fast LED responses indicate cable status (Pass, Miswire, Open-Fault, Short-Fault, and Shield)
- Test remote stores securely in tester body
- Compact tester easily fits in your pocket
- Auto Power-off feature to conserve battery life (9V included)
- Low battery indicator
Additional Info :
3. Network Cable Tester by Tempo Communications – Cable Mapper, Check Continuity – RJ45, RJ11, RJ12 – CAT5, CAT5E, CAT6
- Identify good connections, opens, shorts and crosses
- Automatically scans when cables connected and unit turned on
- Two scan speeds: fast or slow
- Maps connector and cable pin out
- Tests cables up to 1,650′ or 500 m
4. Klein Tools VDV526-200 Cable Tester, LAN Scout Jr. 2 Ethernet Cable Tester for CAT 5e, CAT 6/6A Cables with RJ45 Connections
- TEST TERMINATED CABLES CAT5e, CAT6 and CAT6A (RJ45) and patch cords
- LARGE BACKLIT LCD for low lit areas displays pin to pin wiremap results
- VERSATILE test for open, short, miswire or split-pair faults, cross-over and shield
- EASY-TO-IDENTIFY test responses, intuitive and simple three button feature
- TONE on single wire, wire pair or all 8 conductor wires
- MULTIPLE TONE STYLE generator (soli /warble); requires probe Cat. No. VDV526-200 cap bulets
- AUTO POWER-OFF feature; 10-minutes in test mode, 60-minutes in tone mode
Additional Info :
5. Klein Tools VDV501-852 Cable Tester with Remote, VDV Scout Pro 3 Test Kit Locates and Tests Voice, Data and Video Cables
- Cable tester for voice (RJ11/12), data (RJ45) and video (F-connector) coax connections
- Self-storing Test + Map Remote (#1) tests, maps and IDs a cable run in a single step
- Power over Ethernet Tester that displays PoE wire and Voltage
- Trace cables, wire pairs and individual conductor wires with a tone generator (requires analog probe Cat. No. VDV500-123; sold separately)
- Measures cable length up to 2,000 feet (610 m)
- Identify multiple cable runs with location-mapping remotes Identify
- Identify 18 RJ45 and 18 F-connector drop locations with large easy-to-read numbers
Additional Info :
6. KOLSOL Network Cable Tester, Ethernet Wire Tracer with NCV & Lamp for CAT5 CAT6, PoE Tester Detect Voltage Measure Fault Distance by TDR NF-8209
- 🔎【Digital cable scanning】NF-8209 lan cable tester is a new generation to offer AC filter and analog signaling all in one network toner and probe. It has three modes for options to track cable like AC filter mode, analog mode and PoE mode.
- 🔎【Fault distance location】Rj45 cable tester measure cable length and locate fault distance accurately for lan cable. the range is 200m.That means it’s equipped with the most powerful cable location technologies for any work environment.
- 🔎【Multi Function】Network cable tester kit includes cable length measurement , cable faults testing, PoE testing, hub blink and NCV function, all these makes it a must-tool for cabling engineers.
- 🔎【PoE information testing & Hub blink】 Identify which pins are providing power and detect how much voltage, identify which the type of PSE (at/af standard).Locate network port by the flashing port light on Hub / Switch. Available to 10M/100M Hub/ switch.
- 🔎【Cable continuity testing & NCV】Test physical status for STP, UTP lan cable. Detect AC voltage presence (50V-1000V).
Additional Info :
7. Advanced Cable Tester with PoE Multifunction Wire Tracker Network Cable Tester for te Toner Tool Kit with Bag Probe Audio Tone for LAN CAT5 CAT6 Tracker Underground Telephone Line Finder Home Repair
- Main Function : Detecting PoE voltage, current, power, PSE standards Power supply modes, Verify RJ45 cables
- 1. Three scan modes selectable: AC filter mode/ Analog mode/ PoE mode
- 2. Detect AC voltage presence (50V-1000V). Test physical status for STP, UTP lan cable.
- 3. Measure cable length accurately , the range is 200m.
- 4. Hub blink for locating network port by the flashing port light on Hub / Switch. Available to 10M/100M/1000M Hub/ switch.
- 5. PoE testing : identify which pins are providing power and detect how much voltage, identify which the type of PSE (at/af standard)
Additional Info :
8. Network Cable Tester, Poe Cable Tester for CAT5e/CAT6/CAT6a, Ethernet Network Tester with NCV, NF-8209 Network Cable Tracker, Test Fault Distance Location and Length Measurement by TDR
- ▶【Three scan modes】AC filter mode/ Analog mode/ PoE mode
- ▶【PoE testing】Test the information of standard PoE device, such as POE voltage, power supply polarity, power supply mode and also the type of PSE(af or at standard).
- ▶【Hub blink】Locate network port by the flashing port light on Hub / Switch. Available to 10M/100M/1000M Hub/ switch.
- ▶【Length measurement】Cable length testing accuracy can be up to 98% and 200 m.
- ▶【Cable continuity testing & NCV】Test physical status for STP, UTP lan cable. Detect AC voltage presence (50V-1000V).
Additional Info :
9. NOYAFA Network Cable Tester,AT278 TDR Multi-functional LCD Tracker For RJ45, RJ11, BNC, Metal Cable,PING/POE NF-8601S
- Fault distance: Measures cable length and displays the distance to fault, graphical wire mapping, opens, shorts.
- PoE & PING: PoE: identify PoE presence and detect how much voltage. PING: to test network performance, data packet, min & max time.
- AC Filter: Tone trace cable with complete AC Interference Rejection, available on common switch & PoE Switch, much stronger than other tracers on markets.
- Hub blink: To locate the network port by the flashing port light on a server/switch/hub/router port.
- Additional Benefits: TF card included to export data to PC ++Voltage detector: included in the receiver (90-1000V) ++Rechargeable Lithium battery for more efficient work.
Additional Info :
10. Fluke Networks LIQ-100 LinkIQ Cable + Network Tester
- Cable Performance testing up to 10GBASE-T via frequency-based measurements
- Network features include: IPv4 and v6 ping, nearest switch diagnostics (IP address, name, port / VLAN number, and advertised data rates)
- Ethernet Alliance certified PoE Verification – Detects the PoE class (1-8) and power, and performs a load test of available PoE from the connected switch
- Displays cable length, wire map, and distance to open or short
- Manage results and print reports from LinkWare PC
Additional Info :
While single-sided power meters are typically cheaper, they also assume your power balance (the percentage of total power each leg is producing) is perfectly even at all times. Our experience using dual-sided power meters (which measure power output from each leg independently) shows this isn’t the case, though.
The professional team’s testing took into account ease of installation, how each network cable tester performed, and whether it’s likely to stand up to long-term use.
What to Consider Before Choosing the Best network cable tester
Whether you are a pro or a DIYer, it is wise to consider the style, features, accessories and leads when choosing a network cable tester. There are many options out there. Consider these features before purchasing one of these tools to help speed up the process.
Basic and Advanced Functions
If you want the greatest versatility from your network cable tester, make sure it can test both types of current: alternating current (AC) — electricity flowing through outlets in your home — and direct current (DC), the electricity stored in batteries. Moreover, a network cable tester must perform at least two of the following three electrical tests in order to qualify as a network cable tester:
- Current: How fast electricity circulates
- Voltage: The difference between the electric current flowing between two points
- Resistance: The amount by which the material carrying the energy resists electrical flow, such as wires
In addition to testing voltage, resistance, and current, advanced digital network cable tester can often perform the following tests:
- Capacitance: Storage of ectricrical charge
- Temperature: The degree of heat generated within the circuit (frequently in both Fahrenheit and Celsius).
- Frequency: Electrical occurrence rate (measured in hertz)
Analog Versus Dial Display
network cable tester with analog dials that have needles (like an old-time speedometer on a car). In bright sunlight, it can be challenging to read a digital readout, especially when numbers are hard to read. The number of analog meters has dropped, but they are still inexpensive, ranging from $10 to $70, and they can perform the three basic circuit tests; they cannot perform more advanced tests.
In today’s market, most network cable testers is electronic, and they’re more expensive, ranging from $20 to $500, or even more, depending on quality and precision. In addition, some digital network cable testers feature backlit screens to make them easier to see in bright light; others have auto-shutoff features that turn them off after a few minutes of inactivity.
With a manual range network cable tester, it can be difficult to determine the approximate range of electrical current you’re testing. Having set the network cable tester to a specific ohms range, you need to keep clicking until the network cable tester provides a reading. network cable tester with an auto-range function (available on digital models only) will save you time since you only need to choose the type of test to perform (voltage, resistance, and current). A readout will appear immediately after the meter matches the right range to the circuit by scanning through all the range options.
Choosing a Network Cable Tester – What to Look for
There are many different types of network cable testers available on the market. Here are some examples. Each device has its own set of distinguishing characteristics that distinguish it from the others. Choosing the most appropriate one for your requirements, on the other hand, can be difficult.
This is where the information in this buying guide will come in handy. Allow us to educate you of the characteristics that will assist you in selecting the most suited gadget from the available network cable testers.
You only need to go over the elements we’ve described below and decide which ones are the most effective for you, as well as which brands we’re about to recommend to you. But first, let’s have a look at some of the considerations to bear in mind before purchasing one; this will be especially useful if you’re purchasing one for the first time:
Compatibility with cable
Only a few of the network cable testers would be suitable for your needs; in fact, several might not even fit the parameters of your requirements when used remotely. For this reason, you should carefully verify whether or not the cable tester you are about to purchase is compatible with the cable types you will be testing.
Consider the following scenario: you work in the electronics business and are frequently dealing with cables and powerline connections. If this is the case, we recommend that you invest in a multi-purpose cable tester that is practically compatible with all cable varieties. Remember that certain testers can connect to a range of different cable types. Some, on the other hand, may necessitate the use of an adaptor for this reason.
Ease of use
When selecting a network cable tester, you should first consider its practicality and versatility, and then consider its price. Due to the possibility of having to measure large wires, the tester should be extremely efficient. The tester assists you in comprehending everything without the need to switch between several panels. Choose a tester with a lightweight and simple design that is straightforward to use.
LED/LCD Display for the On-Tester
The majority of network cable testers have a display screen that shows the results of the tests. But be aware that some testing does not have a display screen and instead only delivers results by sound or light indicators, so make your selection carefully!
We strongly advise you to choose a tester that includes some form of display screen—you already know why! If you’re in a noisy location, you might miss the sound, or the LED indicator might not blink at the appropriate time. Although it is rare that you will forget about the readings if you are using a display (LED or LCD) indicator, it is nevertheless possible.
It goes without saying that if you are a professional technician who needs to measure the voltage of a cable line, a display-type tester is a must-have tool in your toolbox. In contrast, non-display testers are substantially less expensive than display testers, which is a big advantage. So, the bottom line is to choose the one that you believe will be the most beneficial.
Fourth, the testing method Network cable testers may perform a wide range of cable tests, including voltage and continuity tests as well as resistance and cable length tests. They can also perform pin testing and cord connection evaluations, among other things.
You must first determine exactly what you intend to use the cable tester for. This is critical since only a few network cable testers are capable of performing a single test type, while others are capable of doing many tests. Consider the kind of tests that will be performed before making your selection from the list of the best network cable testers provided below.
The ability to do Length Testing
It is vital to understand the maximum length that a cable tester is capable of testing. Due to the fact that network cable testers have a limited range of operation when it comes to assessing and inspecting the quality of cord connections,
Inaccurate readings or results from network testing may be obtained if the maximum cable length recommended by the device is not adhered to.
Limited Warranty Period
Purchasing a warranty for your product ensures that you will not need to worry about anything for a specified length of time. All you have to do now is tell the firm, and your problem will be remedied immediately. You are covered as long as your tester is within the warranty period.
Because network testers are electronic equipment, they are certain to malfunction if they are subjected to extremes of heat and cold, as is the case with most electronic devices. For this reason, you should always keep track of how long your tester’s warranty is still valid. Although it is possible to extend your warranty for a few dollars more, this is not always recommended.
With a bigger price tag comes more features and longer useful life for your goods and services. Because a longer-lasting tester will save you money in the long term, it is good to spend a bit extra money upfront on it. Spending money on “additional features” that you do not require, on the other hand, is still a waste of your money in this case.
The types of tests that can be performed by your tester affect the price of your tester, as well as the types of cables that it can support, the construction quality, and so on. The issue can be complicated, which is why we are here to assist you in selecting the most appropriate option for your requirements.