A homemade sod cutter is a must-have powerful cutting tool that can be used for more than just cutting for both domestic and professional purposes.
This standard cutter is highly versatile, lightweight, and heavy-duty, have traditional wheels and ever-so-effective rocker blades.
All you need is to place the cutting material and then run the cutter on it. Thus, the applied cutting pressure on the sharpened blades will cut through the material.
10 Best homemade sod cutter Ranked for 2022
These are available in different sizes, shapes, and cutting capacities, which makes it a bit hard to figure out the best option. We suggest you consider the bottom key factors before investing in the homemade sod cutter to grab the best one.
1. Linsen-Outdoor Stainless Steel Garden Knife with 7.8″ Blade, Double Side Utility Sod Cutter Lawn Repair Garden Knife with Nylon Sheath Linsen-Outdoor Stainless Steel Garden Knife with 7.8″ Blade, Double Side Utility Sod Cutter Lawn Repair Garden Knife with Nylon Sheath Linsen-Outdoor Stainless Steel Garden Knife with 7.8″ Blade, Double Side Utility Sod Cutter Lawn Repair Garden Knife with Nylon Sheath Linsen-Outdoor Stainless Steel
2. Worx WG163 GT 3.0 20V PowerShare 12″ Cordless String Trimmer & Edger (Battery & Charger Included)
- [TRIMMER & EDGER 2-in-1] Easily converts from a string trimmer to a wheel edger in just seconds
- [INSTANT LINE FEED] Innovative push button Command Feed spool system for instant line feeding. Plus, Free Spools for Life
- [DO IT ALL WITH THE SAME BATTERY] Worx Power Share is compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v tools, outdoor power and lifestyle products
- [BATTERIES INCLUDED] 2 powerful and lightweight 20V Power Share MaxLithium batteries come with this tool and can be used on any other tool in the WORX PowerShare family
- [HEAD TILTS 90°] So you can trim and edge on sloped terrain, and get to tough-to-reach places
- [RUBBERIZED WHEELS] Support and guide the edger, giving you straighter lines and cleaner cuts
- [SPACER GUARD] Adjustable, so you don’t damage plants, landscape features, and lawn ornaments while you’re trimming
- [SPECS] 7600 rpm no-load speed, 12” cutting diameter, 5.3 lbs. machine weight, 10’ cutting line length, 0.065” line diameter
- [INCLUDES] 20V Trimmer & Edger, (2) 20V MaxLithium Battery, 20V Charger, Trimmer Spool, Support Wheels, Safety Guard
Additional Info :
3. WORX WG896 12 Amp 7.5″ Electric Lawn Edger & Trencher
- [POWER LIKE THE PROS] The 12 Amp motor spins the 7.5” blade fast and deep at 4700 revolutions per minute, giving you professional-looking lines and edges
- [3 DEPTH ADJUSTMENTS] Cut down at 1”, 1-1/4”, 1-1/2” depending on the task at hand
- [CUTTING LINE INDICATOR] Stay on the straight and narrow with the cutting line guide—you’ll notice a difference when you’re done
- [ADJUSTABLE SHAFT] Users of any height can find a length and comfortable position that works for them with the adjustable shaft and D-grip handle
- [DO IT YOURSELF. DO IT BETTER. DO IT WITH WORX.] WORX tools are engineered with cutting-edge technology, and above modern efficiency standards, so you can build a cost-effective tool collection that’s been designed to last
Additional Info :
|Color||Orange and Black|
4. Sun Joe TJ604E 16-Inch 13.5 AMP Electric Garden Tiller/Cultivator,Black
- Questions, Text 563563 to chat directly with a Sun Joe expert
- POWERFUL: 13. 5-Amp motor cultivates up to 16 in. Wide x 8 in. Deep
- DURABLE: 6 Steel angled tines for maximum durability and performance
- EASY STORAGE: handle folds for convenient storage and easy transport
- ADJUSTABLE: 3-position wheel adjustment
Additional Info :
5. Fiskars Steel D-Handle Flat Square Garden Spade, Gardening Tools for Edging, Digging, Weed Removal, Heavy Duty, 46 Inch, Black/Orange
- Designed for edging, cutting a trench, slicing through thick turf or digging; Great addition for everyday gardeners, yard cleanup, landscapers and work sites
- Welded 14-gauge hardened steel blade and 18-gauge steel shaft provide durability that far outlasts wood-handled tools and will not flex like fiberglass
- Extra-large D-handle and foot platform design offers secure two-handed control when digging and helps maximize force when driving the blade into soil
- Sharpened blade makes gardening easier; Penetrate tough soil or break up hardened dirt clods
- Overall length: 46 inches, weight: 4.81 ounces; Included lifetime warranty
Additional Info :
6. ProPlugger 5-in-1 Lawn and Garden Tool, Bulb Planter, Weeder or Weeding Tool, Sod Plugger, Annual Planter, Soil Test Probe
- WATCH OUR VIDEO – Click the video to see the ProPlugger in action.
- PLANT LIKE A PRO – Step, twist, pull and you’re ready to plant. Dig 2-1/8” diameter planting holes quickly, one after another, from a comfortable standing position. Soil gets stored in the tool as you work and empties by turning the tool upside down. Depth Rings (included) allow you to consistently dig perfect planting holes at 2″, 4″ and even 6″ deep. *Avoid digging in dry or overly saturated soil.
- MULTI-USE GARDEN TOOL – Plant your garden favorites! Spring and fall bulbs, annuals, ground covers, vegetables and more. Makes a great lawn and sod plugger (Not Recommended For St. Augustine Grass), weeding tool, soil sample tool and drip-edge fertilizing tool.
- TAKE THE PAIN OUT OF PLANTING – The ProPlugger 5-IN-1 Planting Tool allows you to work from a standing position, saving your back and knees. Comfortable, sturdy hand grips are helpful for seniors or those with mild arthritis.
- MADE IN THE USA of durable all welded carbon steel. Money Back Guarantee – 100% Customer Satisfaction
Additional Info :
7. Liquid Soil Loosener- Soil Conditioner-Use alone or when Aerating with Mechanical Aerator or Core Aeration- Simple Lawn Solutions- Any Grass Type-Great for Compact Soils, Standing water, Poor Drainage
- Liquid Soil Loosener: Can be used Alone or with Mechanical or Core Aeration, Aerating and Aerate Tools. Liquid Soil Loosener Conditions Compact Soil. Helps the Downward Movement of Water Allowing Vertical Drainage and Increased Water Infiltration.
- Concentrated Soil Conditioner: Soften Your Soil with this Advanced Lawn Solution, Easy To Use Treatment. Liquid Soil Loosener is Concentrated Liquid Solution. 32 ounce Bottle Covers up to 32,000 square feet.
- Helps Standing Water, Promotes Drainage: Improves Water and Liquid Infiltration. Use Alongside Any Turf Grass Fertilizer Nutrient Program.
- Produced In The United States: Liquid Soil Loosener is Made and Manufactured in the United States of America, by a Family Owned Business with Over 25 years of Former Experience in the Turf Grass and Agriculture Industry.
- Can Be Used On All Grass types: Including Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Buffalo, Centipede, Florida Palmetto, Bahia, Fescue, Ryegrass & Kentucky Bluegrass.
Additional Info :
8. GRASSHOLE – Sprinkler Head Protection (10-Pack)
- Save money protect your sprinkler heads & solar lights
- Customize your GRASSHOLE unit to fit any location
- Advanced flexible ABS plastic patented design is better than plastic donuts and more durable than concrete donuts!
Additional Info :
9. Japanese Weeding Sickle Very Sharp Edge Quick Work
- High carbon steel Japanese weeder
- Sharp edge kept longer
- Quick easy work for all weeding and gardening
Additional Info :
10. Radius Garden 22011 Root Slayer Shovel, Red
- Serrated shovel designed for reducing stress on your hands and wrist
- Digging shovel with V-shaped cutting tip to easily rip roots and dirt
- Garden digging shovel with durable powder-coated carbon steel tip
- Sturdy tip suitable for any garden task- not meant for prying
- Lifetime manufacturer warranty (continental US only)
Additional Info :
List of homemade sod cutter: Comparison Table
|#||Product Name||Popularity Score||Quality Score||Sentiment Score||Sales Volume|
|1||ProPlugger 5-in-1 Lawn and Garden Tool, Bulb Planter, Weeder or Weeding Tool, Sod Plugger, Annual...||
|2||Seymour Midwest Kenyon Sprinkler Head Trimmer, 2-3/4 in||
|3||2Pcs Garden Tools Hollow Hoe, All-Steel Hardened Hollow Hoe, Sharp Durable Garden Edger Weeder, Hoe...||
|4||WORX WG896 12 Amp 7.5" Electric Lawn Edger & Trencher||
|5||LawnMaster GV1212B Scarifier and Dethatcher 13-Inch 12AMP||
|6||Liquid Soil Loosener- Soil Conditioner-Use alone or when Aerating with Mechanical Aerator or Core...||
|7||Sun Joe TJ604E 16-Inch 13.5 AMP Electric Garden Tiller/Cultivator,Black||
|8||Worx WG163 GT 3.0 20V PowerShare 12" Cordless String Trimmer & Edger (Battery & Charger Included)||
|9||Radius Garden 22511 Root Slayer XL, Root Slayer XL, Red||
|10||Fiskars Steel D-Handle Flat Square Garden Spade, Gardening Tools for Edging, Digging, Weed Removal,...||
How to Choose the Best homemade sod cutter?
To help you pick the best homemade sod cutter for your tasks, examine these very important aspects.
- Comfortable Grips- The grip design is essential to the operation. You will be exerting a considerable amount of force, so you want to make sure you have something that is both comfortable in your hand and easy to hold onto. While it shouldn’t be a driving reason to consider a homemade sod cutter, it is something to prioritize during selection.
- Foldable Design- If you need to carry homemade sod cutter in a tool bag, you might want to invest in a set designed with that in mind. This is especially true if you know you will need longer handles for an increased mechanical advantage. Again, this is not a standard design feature, so you will need to search specifically for sets that offer it.
- Adjustable Blade- Most homemade sod cutter features an adjustable blade. With this adjustment, you can set the proper cutting depth to fine-tune performance. How this adjustment is made can vary, and it is something to pay careful attention to. You want to make sure that the mechanism is both easy to use and will provide reliable results.
- Cutting Style or Angle- If you think all homemade sod cutter cut in exactly the same way, it’s time to take a close look at the ones you’re thinking about buying. homemade sod cutters actually have different cut styles, or angles, which creates different end results. You can choose from angled, shear, clipper, or center cut homemade sod cutter. Each of these types of cuts can shape how you position yourhomemade sod cutter, how much pressure is applied to one point, and how the jaws open.
- Hydraulic or Hand-Powered- Most homemade sod cutter are powered by nothing but your own force applied via the handles. However, you can opt for a hydraulic homemade sod cutter if you’d like. In these tools, a motor powers the cutting blades via a hydraulic piston. That piston moves the blades with increased force — more force than you could likely create with hand- and handle-operated homemade sod cutter. Hydraulic homemade sod cutter is especially helpful if you’re trying to cut through thicker locks.
homemade sod cutter are offered in a wide range of sizes: 8, 10, 12, 14, 18, 24, 30, 36, and 42-inches. The cutter size will affect its capacity to cut through a variety of materials and metal thicknesses.
Small homemade sod cutter
Small homemade sod cutter that size 8, 10-inch, 12-inch, or 14-inches in length are primarily meant to cut through thinner chains and pry off bolts that have a soft to medium hardness. These types of homemade sod cutter, such as the outstanding Knipex Tools homemade sod cutter, are also quite popular as they are sturdy, fit in tight, confined locations, and enable on-the-go versatility.
Medium Sized homemade sod cutter
Medium-sized homemade sod cutter range in size from 18-inches-24 -inches. They can be utilized with soft and medium-to-hard metals. As a medium bolt cutter has a long handle, it provides better leverage for cutting through bulky things such as padlocks and removing bolts.
Large homemade sod cutter
Large homemade sod cutter that measure 30-42-inches are suitable for cutting through medium-hard metal components such as thick steel chains, copper cable, steel rods, and large bolts and padlocks. These heavy-duty tools include super-strong steel jaws and longer handles that provide you with improved leverage and bolt-busting strength for particularly demanding work.
The cutter’s jaws and blade edge must be built of strong, sturdy, and hard steel for maximum cutting power.
Most homemade sod cutter are forged from chrome molybdenum or chrome vanadium steel. Both forms of steel are strong and durable. Powder-coated steel prevents rust and corrosion.
Any knife or ax will have a Rockwell Hardness Scale-made blade. The Rockwell Scale’s HRC code indicates steel’s hardness and durability. Higher RHC means tougher steel.
Handles must offer the appropriate leverage to expand the jaws so they may grab and cut metal with less effort.
Ergonomic design reduces hand fatigue. The homemade sod cutter may feature thick molded plastic handles, like the Capri Tools CP40209 40209 8-inch Klinge Mini homemade sod cutter or rolling steel handles with cushioned non-slip rubber grips.
A heavier homemade sod cutter offers more metal-crushing force, but it causes fatigue over time. A lightweight homemade sod cutter is perfect for quick chores and everyday transport, but not for heavy-duty tasks. Consider the tasks you must complete. Keep a heavy and a lightweight bolt cutter in your toolbox.
Questions and Answers
- Which cutters are best for electricians, according to #1?
Ans: Depending on your line of work, you could need a cutter that meets specified requirements. For instance, homemade sod cutters with a needle-nose are used by electricians. They have tapered jaws that make it simple for them to bend wires and insert them into panels that are too small for any other type of cutter or plier to fit.
How should I pick a cutter?
- Ans: When selecting a cutter, there are a few things to consider. Consider, for instance, the blade’s ability to cut, the handles’ length and insulation, the material from which they are formed, etc. Different homemade sod cutter are used for various tasks. Choose the option that will enable you to complete your assignment with the very minimum amount of effort.
3. What distinguishes cutters from strippers?
- Ans: Contrary to what their names might imply, cutters focus primarily on cutting, whilst wire strippers assist in removing the insulation.
4. If I cut a cable wire, would I get electrocuted?
- Ans: There is a chance of electrocution while cutting a cable wire. Wire cutters include handles with rubber insulation to absorb such unforeseen shocks to reduce this risk.
5. For what purpose do cutters have holes?
- The wire cutters’ holes make it easier to use small bolts and screws. To achieve this, one must thread a bolt or screw the correct length into the appropriate-sized hole. When the handles are squeezed together, the bolt or screw will have a clean trim without any damage to the threads.
6. How are heavy-duty cuts?
- Ans: Working with a heavy-duty job can be demanding and difficult. You need a variety of heavy-duty wire cutters to successfully cut heavy-duty wires in order to ease the difficulty of this challenging work.
The following is a list of some safety advice you can use when cutting through heavy-duty wires.
- To protect your eyes, you must use eye protection. This will shield you from any mishaps and stop dust, debris, and other flying objects from getting in your eyes.
- To ensure that the contact between the wire and the cutter is stable, cut the wire at an angle. This will stop any slippage-related mishaps.
- In order to prevent the homemade sod cutter from flying off your palm and landing somewhere else, you must firmly grasp the handle.
- The homemade sod cutter needs to be constantly oiled and lubricated to stay in top shape and cut wires effectively.
- We have compiled a list of the various homemade sod cutters that are offered on the market. Every one of the products listed is specifically made for its assigned function and falls into a designated category.
Therefore, we have compiled a comprehensive list containing the aforementioned attributes to make the challenging decision of choosing the right homemade sod cutter simple.